Faster x264 Encoding
After a few recent complaints from our customers, it became evident that our x264 encoding configuration was way too slow. Not only had we missed some critical optimizations when configuring the library, but we were not using optimal parameters for the encoding itself either.
Today, we are happy to announce that we have fixed all of these issues:
- We are now configuring our x264 library to take advantage of CPU-specific (assembler) optimizations
- Our presets have been updated to use a slightly faster encoding strategy that still produces great quality
- Everything is now configured to take full advantage of our new 8 core machines
So, how much of a difference will this make?
In one – especially slow – scenario, we are now seeing a 20.5-fold speed increase over our previous configuration. While your mileage may vary, you should very likely see a similar speed increase, at least in the neighborhood of 10 times or more.
That being said, we will continue to improve our performance over time. So, if you feel something is not fast enough, just let us know and we'll investigate!
Share your Transloadit project to earn $300
We love seeing how our community uses Transloadit. Tweet @transloadit to get your proposal approved, share what you’ve built in the form of a blog post or a tutorial on your website, and earn a $300 Gift certificate of your choice as well as a full year of the Startup Plan, at no cost after you publish.
Get started for free with the Community Plan, or, if you are a student, get an upgrade via the GitHub Student Developer Pack.
Get started for free
- Free plan with 5 GB encoding credit
- Set monthly spending limits
- Try without a credit card
- Highly available, globally distributed platform
- Cancel at any time
- Costs displayed for each upload/conversion
Follow us on Twitter:Follow @transloadit
We're SO STOKED to announce the Transloadit Community Plan! 🎉🎉🎉 Unlimited uploading, importing and exporting, 5GB of encoding/month, and access to 50 different file conversion features for all.— 🤖 Transloadit (@transloadit) July 2, 2020
Best part? It's free. Forever. 🤑 Find out more https://t.co/zXWLi3Xa0G pic.twitter.com/DlY5xz1mPG
Get started today
Our Community Plan is free forever and suffices for most projects. Signup is instant. No credit card needed.Sign up today